UPDATE: Hey, I'm Susie! Thriftables was just a little ol' blog I started in 2012 about thrifting and DIY. When t
he domain thriftables.com got bought up from under me, I decided that I'd let the blog die. It's just a well; I never really updated it anymore anyway.
I will keep the most popular posts up. If you still want to be my buddy, please find me on Pinterest, Instagram, or Etsy. I'll probably start another blog or vintagey project someday soon. When I do, you'll hear about it there.

On a side note, if you find a pin or link that leads you back to thriftables.com, would you mind updating the link to point it back to thriftables.blogspot.com? I would appreciate it, and I'm sure the lost thrifter who stumbles across it will appreciate it, too.

Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Vintage Coach Purse Makeover







































Vintage Coach, though beautiful, is a wee bit boring, especially when you own dozens in a similar style. When I thrifted this purse a while back, I decided I was going to have a little fun with it. I got it for a bargain, so I knew that even if I fudged it I wouldn't feel bad about about my little experiment. It went swimmingly, and now this purse is one of my favorites!


The leather was so dry and sad looking. I consulted my thrifting survival kit, pulled out my trusty Pecard Leather Dressing and went to work cleaning it up. To help bring out the natural patina of the leather, I rubbed harder in places to give it a deeper color. This results in a darker, more lived-in look.




I found vintage brass pyramid studs on Etsy. I got lucky that the color matched the existing brass hardware almost perfectly. When it came time to place the studs, I had no idea what design I wanted. I just haphazardly placed them, hoping for the best (typical me!) Because the leather on vintage Coach is so thick, the studs wouldn't pierce without a little help. I had good luck piercing the leather with the tip of an X-Acto knife. 

If I were to do it again, I'd probably measure and be a little more deliberate with the placement, but for now I think it looks pretty nifty. 

Do you think you'd ever experiment with with re-mixing vintage Coach? Comment below!

2 comments:

  1. You did a SUPERB job! I love it! Thanks for the inspiration and tips too.

    ReplyDelete

Got a comment? I'd love to hear your thoughts! I read every comment and try to reply to everybody.