UPDATE: Hey, I'm Susie! Thriftables was just a little ol' blog I started in 2012 about thrifting and DIY. When t
he domain thriftables.com got bought up from under me, I decided that I'd let the blog die. It's just a well; I never really updated it anymore anyway.
I will keep the most popular posts up. If you still want to be my buddy, please find me on Pinterest, Instagram, or Etsy. I'll probably start another blog or vintagey project someday soon. When I do, you'll hear about it there.

On a side note, if you find a pin or link that leads you back to thriftables.com, would you mind updating the link to point it back to thriftables.blogspot.com? I would appreciate it, and I'm sure the lost thrifter who stumbles across it will appreciate it, too.

Tuesday, July 15, 2014

1940 World Atlas String of Pennants










When I thrifted this vintage 1940s world atlas, I knew it was destined for a craft project. I would never advocate ripping up an old book just for crafting, but most of the pages were already loose and stained. Alas, my 25 cent thrift find became some cute bunting, perfect for adorning my office.  

To make the pennants, I simply made a template out of cardstock, traced around the template on some of the more interesting entries, and cut around the tracing. The paper was very brittle from age and exposure, so I decided to back it with some colorful paper. I used Mod Podge to glue and seal the pennants. This not only adds a nice texture, but it also protects the old paper from further damage. After the Mod Podge dried, I punched holes in the corners of the pennants, then strung some jute twine through the holes.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got a comment? I'd love to hear your thoughts! I read every comment and try to reply to everybody.