UPDATE: Hey, I'm Susie! Thriftables was just a little ol' blog I started in 2012 about thrifting and DIY. When t
he domain thriftables.com got bought up from under me, I decided that I'd let the blog die. It's just a well; I never really updated it anymore anyway.
I will keep the most popular posts up. If you still want to be my buddy, please find me on Pinterest, Instagram, or Etsy. I'll probably start another blog or vintagey project someday soon. When I do, you'll hear about it there.

On a side note, if you find a pin or link that leads you back to thriftables.com, would you mind updating the link to point it back to thriftables.blogspot.com? I would appreciate it, and I'm sure the lost thrifter who stumbles across it will appreciate it, too.

Thursday, September 6, 2012

Painting Heywood Wakefield?





I found this set posted on Craigslist while searching for ways to restore my found chairs. I know many will cringe at painting such lovely, iconic furniture. I'm not a fan personally, but is it possible that this set was damaged somehow and the owners decided to try to revive it? I'm unconvinced, but to each their own I suppose. 

How do you feel about it? Is painting something as iconic as Hey-Wake akin to blasphemy? Comment below!

7 comments:

  1. If one really wanted to get nuts then the paint could be striped off and it could all be refinished. That would be madness though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would not want to be the one to have to do that project. That's *a lot* of work! Could be worth it for the right price, though.

      Delete
  2. First of all, big Congrats on the chairs - what a fabulous score! Second, I think if the condition is bad enough that a restoration doesn't make sense, or if it's just a nice old piece of furniture and not something special or iconic, then painting is fine, but I don't think that applies in those pics. I'm cringing a bit along with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :-)

      Yeah, I think you're right. I'm sure this was just a case of personal preference, and not the kind I can get down with.

      Delete
  3. Hey Susie, Yup, this a pretty horrible idea of someones. Restoration is most always better than going in this direction. That said, it can be brought back to it's original splendor! Is it easy and doesn't require much time and effort? The short answer is not either easy and yes, you will spend many hours doing. Is it worth the trouble if you got it for cheap. Absolutely! I've been refinishing H/W for the last 11 plus years and if you take the time to dig back through some of my older posts, you will find a post that gives you a ton of hints and tips on how to do this properly. Let me know if I can help out with more info!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This gives me a case of the sads. I quit Mary Englebreight decorating ideas when she suggested cutting up vintage table clothes for all kinds of dopey projects. We could always pretend that the furniture was in some way messed up and paint was it's salvation. I am going to hug my Heywood Wakefield desk to feel better now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah...I think that there is only one reason to desecrate vintage, and that's if it's beyond repair. That's my opinion, though, and I guess you just can't convince the world :-/

      Delete

Got a comment? I'd love to hear your thoughts! I read every comment and try to reply to everybody.