UPDATE: Hey, I'm Susie! Thriftables was just a little ol' blog I started in 2012 about thrifting and DIY. When t
he domain thriftables.com got bought up from under me, I decided that I'd let the blog die. It's just a well; I never really updated it anymore anyway.
I will keep the most popular posts up. If you still want to be my buddy, please find me on Pinterest, Instagram, or Etsy. I'll probably start another blog or vintagey project someday soon. When I do, you'll hear about it there.

On a side note, if you find a pin or link that leads you back to thriftables.com, would you mind updating the link to point it back to thriftables.blogspot.com? I would appreciate it, and I'm sure the lost thrifter who stumbles across it will appreciate it, too.

Thursday, July 19, 2012

Collecting Vintage Mix-and-Match Dishes


No matter how many vintage dishes I bring home, I always want to buy more.  How can I say no to all the forgotten pieces on thrift store shelves, especially when they're selling for as little as $0.25 each? Well, being the financial panther that I am, I don't just go buying any and every cute ol' dish I come across. In fact, I settled on a few ground rules to prevent myself from becoming a complete hoarder and wasting money on dishes I just don't need. The result: a fun and unique dish collection. 

The rules: 


  • I'll only bring home pieces from the 1950/60s. This keeps the theme cohesive enough to look intentional.
  • They have to be predominately pink, black, turquoise, and grey. Again, cohesion is key. 
  • Priority is given to jaunty designs and atomic starbursts. Nobody needs more plain white dishes, but everybody needs more atomic starbursts in their life. 

My plan is paying off. My collection is not only unique and cheap, but it's also undeniably me. What could be better than that? How do you feel about piecemeal dish collections? Comment below!

4 comments:

  1. These pictures are great - love the colors!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm the same way, let me tell you. That pink dish in the second picture - stunning! Never seen that pattern before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had never seen it before either, but I can't find out anything about it. If anybody out there knows something about it I'd love to know!

    ReplyDelete

Got a comment? I'd love to hear your thoughts! I read every comment and try to reply to everybody.